What is Spaying and Neutering?
Spaying or neutering the removal of the organs of reproduction. For females this means removal of ovaries and uterus and for males the removal of testicles.
What Age Can I Neuter My Pet?
- Cats, both male and female, can be neutered at around 6 months of age
- Female dogs can be spayed after 6 months or after their first season, depending on your preference
- Male dogs with an expected adult weight of LESS THAN 20kg can be castrated from 6months
- Male dogs with an expected adult weight of MORE THAN 20kg must be at least 12 months old
- Male Rabbits from 12 weeks
- Female rabbits from 16 weeks
- Ferrets from 16 weeks
- Guinea Pigs from 16 weeks
There is some flexibility with the age of neutering, so if you would like to discuss it further, please ring the surgery to chat to one of our vets.
Large Breed Male Dogs
The guidelines for castrating male dogs have recently changed.
If the dog’s adult weight is likely to be more than 20kg than the dog must be 12 months before castration.
This is due to studies showing an increased risk of certain tumours, e.g. mast cell tumours and some bone cancers, in male dogs with an adult weight of over 20kg who are neutered before they are 1 year old.
The studies looked at Hungarian Vizlas, Rottweilers and Golden Retrievers.
If you would like to discuss your neutering options please contact us to speak with a vet.
Why Neuter My Pet?
Neutering often helps to control unwanted behavioural issues such as territorial aggression and possessiveness over food and toys. It may help to reduce the instinct to roam in search of a mate.
It also has medical benefits such as reduction in some cancers and elimination of others and also helps to reduce the risk of some medical conditions such as prostate problems in male dogs and infections in the womb – known as a pyometra in female animals.
You can read more about spaying and neutering pets on our Vet Blog.
Neutering helps prevent unwanted animals in rescue centres
What Does It Cost to Neuter My Pet?
We offer set prices for standard spaying and neutering depending on your pet's species, sex and weight. Please call us for more information.