Help Us Help You
at mercer and hughes veterinary surgeons
Coronavirus Protocol at Mercer and Hughes Vets
Mercer and Hughes Veterinary Surgeons will endeavour to remain open and operational during the spread of Coronavirus, however we have had to implement certain procedures and changes to our business to become COVID-secure. This is to ensure the safety of our staff and all those who need to visit our surgeries.
We politely request that you take notice of, and follow, the advice below.
PLEASE DO NOT VISIT THE SURGERY IF YOU ARE SHOWING SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19 (new persistent cough and/or high fever and/or loss of sense of taste or smell) OR ARE SELF-ISOLATING
Which Veterinary Services Are You Providing?
We are currently seeing all cases requiring veterinary attention or advice with the vet, including puppy and kitten vaccinations, neutering, medication checks, and of course sick and injured pets.
We are currently NOT able to offer routine vet nurse appointments such as flea and worming, weight checks or nail clips.
We are still providing our emergency service for our clients from our Saffron Walden Veterinary Hospital.
Visiting the Surgery for Consultations or Collections
- In order to comply with social distancing, we are making some significant changes to the types of appointments we offer, and how we interact with you.
- Please ensure you WEAR YOUR MASK when interacting with our staff outside.
- We ask all clients to wait in the car, and call in when you have arrived for the appointment. We will come and get you when it’s time for your appointment, and if we feel it’s suitable, may conduct an examination of your pet in our consult rooms whilst you wait in the car. In these instances we will talk to you on the phone during the consultation to discuss our findings.
- Medication and food collections. Please wait outside and call to advise us that you have arrived. We will take payment over the phone, bring the medication/food and leave it at the front/back door
- We are still providing our emergency service
- We are now operating on a card-only basis (no cash)
Payment For Services
We are now CARD ONLY and are not accepting cash payments. The contactless limit has been raised to £45.
Some procedures will require payment before being undertaken.
I am a Client Who Is Self-Isolating or Showing Symptoms of COVID-19
- Please DO NOT enter or attend the practice if you have a new persistent cough and/or a high temperature, and/or a loss of sense of taste or smell, or are in self isolation
- If you are in self-isolation and your pet needs to visit us, you will need to find a friend or family member who isn’t in isolation to bring them in
- If your pet requires routine non-urgent treatments such as boosters and you are in self-isolation, we will advise you to delay these treatments until you are out of isolation
- If you are in self-isolation and require advice that our receptionists are unable to help with, we will take your details and ask a vet or vet nurse to call you back
- All home visits are cancelled for the foreseeable future
- Routine medications such as flea and worming treatments can be posted on request
- In cases of a clinical emergency, if you are in self-isolation and have no option but to bring your pet in to us yourself, please be advised that we have procedures in place to protect our staff and members of the public, and you will be expected to follow them – please follow the guidance of our team
Can Pets Get Coronavirus?
For more details on pets and the Coronavirus, please click the image below to view our blog post.