Travelling With Your Pet Post-Brexit

There is an updated version of this post on travelling with your pet after Brexit – please follow this link to read the January 2020 Brexit Pet Passport Update.

We wanted to update you on the latest guidance relating to Pet Passports and travelling with your pet cat dog or ferret following Brexit.

If your pet currently holds an EU Pet Passport, or you are looking to travel with your pet and return into the UK after 31st October 2019, the UK Government is advising that you will require a Rabies Serology Blood Test with a health certificate.

This takes into account the extension that the EU has granted the UK, though if a deal is made beforehand, or a further extension is granted, then this date may change.

pet passports after Brexit travelling with your pet

A ‘No Deal’ Brexit and How it will Affect Travelling with your Pet

The rules for taking your pet to any EU country will change if the UK leaves the EU with no deal and is treated as an unlisted country. If there’s no deal, pet passports issued in the UK may not be valid for travel to the EU.

The advice of going to see your Official Veterinarian at least four months before travel still stands. To plan ahead for the worst case scenario of the UK not being granted third country status, you’ll need to take the following steps to make sure your pet can travel after 31st October 2019.

So How Do I Holiday With My Pet?

Get Vaccinated and Get a Rabies Blood Test

  1. You must get your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and then vaccinated against rabies before it can travel.
  2. Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination. You’ll need to talk to your vet about whether you need a rabies vaccination or booster before this test.
  3. Your vet must send the blood sample to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory (which we do).
  4. The results of the blood test must show that the vaccination was successful (your pet must have a rabies antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/ml).
  5. You must wait 3 months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you travel.
  6. You must take your pet to a Official Veterinarian (OV), no more than 10 days before travel to get a health certificate.
UK Government guidelines travelling with a pet after Brexit

Would My Pet Require Repeat Rabies Blood Tests?

At the moment, a successful blood test is only required for first time travel to an EU country. To keep the successful blood test valid, your pet’s rabies vaccinations must be kept up to date with boosters before the expiry date of the previous vaccination.

Pet Health Certificate

Your pet health certificate would be valid for:
– 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
– 4 months of onward travel within the EU
– re-entry to the UK for 4 months after the date of issue

Arriving in the EU

On arrival in the EU, pet owners travelling with their pets would be required to enter through a designated Travellers’ Point of Entry (TPE). At the TPE, the pet owner may be asked to present proof of microchip, rabies vaccination and the blood test result alongside their pet’s health certificate.

Repeat Trips to the EU

Pets that have previously had a blood test and have an up-to-date rabies vaccination do not need to repeat the blood test.

Your pet will need a health certificate for each trip to the EU. To get a new health certificate you must take your pet to an Official Veterinarian no more than 10 days before you travel. You must take proof of:
– your pet’s vaccination history
– a successful rabies antibody blood test result

Returning to the UK

Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to the UK:
– an existing EU pet passport (both for UK and EU citizens)
– the EU health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU (see above)
– a UK pet health certificate (issued outside the UK for travel into the UK only)

Check the routes before you travel. On existing approved routes your documents and microchip will be checked. If you’re not travelling on an approved route talk to your vet about what preparations you need to make before travel.

Travelling to the UK from Countries that are Not Free from Tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis)

You’ll need to take your dog to a vet between one and five days before returning to the UK for an approved tapeworm treatment.
You do not need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway.

Keep Up To Date With The Latest Requirements

For full details on the current requirements and recommendations, please refer to the Defra/Government website.

Brexit Pet Passport Travel Update – October 2019
Tagged on: