Travelling With Your Pet After Brexit

Brexit Pet Passport Update September 2020

Travelling With Your Pet After Brexit

When the UK leaves the EU at 11pm on 31st January 2020, we will enter a period of transition until 31st December 2020.

If you plan to travel with your pet from the 1st January 2021, the rules will change from where they are now. From 1st January 2021 Great Britain (England, Wales, and Scotland) will become a third country. The UK Government have applied to be listed, but we need to prepare for becoming a third country.

Are Pet Passports Still Valid?

Any current pet passport remains valid until at least 31st December 2020, depending on further discussions and what deal is struck with the EU for after this date.

So Can I still Travel With My Pet?

Up until 31st December 2020, you can travel with your pet on their current Pet Passport as before.

Keep an eye on the current guidelines if you are planning to return to the UK or enter another EU country after this date.

pet passports after Brexit travelling with your pet

Does My Pet Still Need To Have a Blood Test Before Travel in 2020?

Current advice from the APHA is that a blood test for the efficacy of the Rabies vaccination is not currently required.

This will be reviewed later on in the year and we will keep you informed of any changes as we learn them.

Do I Need a Health Certificate to Travel With My Pet in 2020?

The situation is the same as with the blood test for Rabies – currently, a health certificate is not required. This will be reviewed later in the year and we will inform you of any changing pet passport and pet travel guidelines.

Travelling With Your Pet in 2021

Depending on how Great Britain is officially listed will affect these travel requirements. We will keep this page updated as necessary but keep an eye on the Government website for the most up to date information.

The advice remains to speak to your vet 4 months before you plan to travel.

Is My Pet Passport Valid?

Depending on what deal is struck with the EU, currently any pet passport issued in the UK will not be valid for travel into the EU from January 1st 2021.

Continue reading to find out what you need to do to travel with your pet in 2021.

Get Vaccinated and Get a Rabies Blood Test

  1. You must get your dog, cat or ferret microchipped and then vaccinated against rabies before it can travel.
  2. Your pet must have a blood sample taken at least 30 days after the rabies vaccination. You’ll need to talk to your vet about whether you need a rabies vaccination or booster before this test.
  3. Your vet must send the blood sample to an EU-approved blood testing laboratory (which we do).
  4. The results of the blood test must show that the vaccination was successful (your pet must have a rabies antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/ml).
  5. You must wait 3 months from the date the successful blood sample was taken before you travel.
  6. You must take your pet to a Official Veterinarian (OV), no more than 10 days before travel to get a pet health certificate.

Would My Pet Require Repeat Rabies Blood Tests?

At the moment, a successful blood test is only required for first time travel to an EU country. To keep the successful blood test valid, your pet’s rabies vaccinations must be kept up to date with boosters before the expiry date of the previous vaccination.

Get a Pet Health Certificate

You need to visit your vet no more than 10 days before travel and for each trip. Your pet health certificate would be valid for:

  • 10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU
  • 4 months of onward travel within the EU
  • Re-entry to the UK for 4 months after the date of issue

Arriving in the EU

On arrival in the EU, pet owners travelling with their pets would be required to enter through a designated Travellers’ Point of Entry (TPE). At the TPE, the pet owner may be asked to present proof of microchip, rabies vaccination and the blood test result alongside their pet’s health certificate.

Repeat Trips to the EU

Pets that have previously had a blood test and have an up-to-date rabies vaccination do not need to repeat the blood test.

Your pet will need a health certificate for each trip to the EU. To get a new health certificate you must take your pet to an Official Veterinarian no more than 10 days before you travel. You must take proof of:

  • your pet’s vaccination history
  • a successful rabies antibody blood test result
  • your pet’s microchipping date

Returning to the UK

Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to the UK:

  • an existing EU pet passport (both for UK and EU citizens)
  • Proof of positive Rabies serology blood test
  • the EU health certificate issued in the UK used to travel to the EU (see above)
  • a UK pet health certificate (issued outside the UK for travel into the UK only)

Travelling to the UK from Countries that are Not Free from Tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis)

You’ll need to take your dog to a vet between one and five days before returning to the UK for an approved tapeworm treatment.
You do not need to treat your dog for tapeworm if you’re coming directly to the UK from Finland, Ireland, Malta or Norway.

Keep Up To Date With The Latest Requirements

For full details on the current requirements and recommendations, please refer to the Defra/Government website.

Brexit Pet Passport Travel Update January 2020